Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Regret, and Roasted Garlic

I woke up around 5 am with my throat swollen and on fire. This is not good. It is probably the result of flying so much last week, with stuffed planes, recycled air and sick, weary travelers. I have been chugging lemon-ginger water, eating fruit and lots and lots of vegetables, soup, tea, and popping those vitamins, but I figured this morning I had to really ratchet up my natural defenses.

I gargled with warm salty water for a bit, which helped the pain and swelling. Then I took two whole garlic bulbs out of their bowl and removed the papery outer layer. I remember an artist friend of mine would swear by chewing whole garlic cloves at the first sign of a cold - it would repel his wife, but it would also repel his cold and he'd feel fine the next day. So I sliced one clove in half, and popped the smaller piece into my mouth. I bit down.

Good LORD, do not ever, EVER do this.

First of all it burns, really badly. The sulfury stink of the garlic is overpowering, and it is sour, retched, and vile. I swallowed it, which only caused it to burn my entire esophagus (if you have heartburn, you REALLY do not want to do this). I could feel its journey into my stomach. Once it got there, it hit an empty room, and I thought I was going to vomit right in my sink. It was THAT powerful. I quickly ate a few pieces of the pear I had next to me, which helped.

Garlic may be a very good natural remedy for colds, but that is obviously not the way to go about taking it.

A much nicer way:

ROASTED GARLIC

Whole bulbs of garlic (as many as you want - keep them whole, do not separate the cloves)
Cooking spray - either butter or olive-oil flavor
Salt and pepper
Option other herbs: rosemary, sage, basil, thyme, Herbs du Provence

Preheat oven to 350. Remove all paper from outer layers of garlic bulbs, while leaving them intact. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the top off the garlic bulb so that they are flat across and the garlic is exposed. Spray the tops of each garlic bulb, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top (and your other herbs, if you so desire).

Place on a shallow baking sheet - no need to grease the pan. Broil for about 20-30 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and golden-brown.

The garlic will become very soft, and very sweet. You can spead it on toast, as if it were butter - or you can use it in recipes, mash it into dips, put it in salsa - whatever your heart desires.

You can use the little top bits you cut off in recipes - just store them in the fridge in a baggie. I put mine in soup.

Oh, and be sure you have a significant other who is either 1) out of town or 2) also loves garlic. It lingers.

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to roast some garlic for a while now. I think I'll do it tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete