Thursday, January 15, 2009

Keeping up, with Tomato-Wine Braised Salmon

They say if you do something for 21 days, it becomes a habit. I've gone for a run every day now since Saturday, and I'm logging 3 to 4 miles each time. I did get a bit overambitious on Saturday, and tried 7 miles, but the heat had other plans for me and I only made it halfway. Thankfully my friends gave me a ride back.

I joined Weight Watchers on Dec 28, so I've only been on the plan for 18 days. Not quite a "habit" yet, but I am already marveling at how aware I've become of what I eat. Last night, I was really hungry after class. Before I started this plan, I'd go through Del Taco and come home with a quesadilla, two tacos del carbon, and perhaps a bean and cheese burrito. All at once. Serious story.
Once I realized that ONE of those little tiny tacos del carbon was almost 1/4 of my entire points log, I could not justify going through the drive through. Besides, one of those little tacos would never make me feel satisfied. Instead, I picked up some of these AMAZING high-fiber tortillas from La Tortilla Factory (50 calories each! No fat! 7 g of fiber! Tastes amazing!) and some imitation crab (I can't help it, I love that crap) and made a couple wraps at home. I even enjoyed a martini. My points total was over my daily allowance, but I ate more food and felt more full and better about myself the next day than if I had made a run for the border.

Anyway, its just good to face your old habits in the face. Its the only way to break them, I guess. And it wasn't healthy eating that caused my weight to blow up. I obviously was not in control of what I was eating.

This week I've been enjoying some leftovers, and while cleaning out my freezer I found a pack of salmon filets. Score! So tonight I decided to cook it up. Salmon is chock full of protein and good fats like omega-3's. This recipe uses very healthy, low-fat ingredients, and was extremely full of flavor. I had 2 filets in the package; I have leftovers for later. I really enjoyed this.

Tomato-Wine Braised Salmon


Two 3 - 4 oz salmon filets
Can of diced, low sodium tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine
Penne pasta (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste - it has added fiber and calcium. Barilla Plus is good, too.)
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon fat free feta cheese (for garnish)

Place your salmon filets in a medium saucepan. Pour the can of tomatoes in the pan, and fill can halfway with water and add to the pot. Turn up the heat to medium and start to simmer. Add the 1/4 cup of red wine. Cover, and simmer on low until the salmon is almost cooked through.

When the salmon is almost just cooked (still kind of pinky raw in the middle) add in the crushed garlic and the dry pasta. 1/2 cup or 1 cup of pasta should be fine, depending how much you want and how much you're cooking. Cover again and allow the pasta to cook in the simmer sauce until al dente (if you need to, add just enough water to cover the pasta). The simmering liquid will cook the pasta, and inject it with a little delicious flavor. Mmmm.

So basically you just cover it and let it cook until its done. The salmon will be moist and flaky, the pasta will be soft but firm enough, and the wine cuts the tomato's acidity and gives the whole thing a nice richness.

Serve in a bowl and sprinkle feta cheese on top - its fat free, and incredibly tasty. A little goes a LONG way. I am liking putting fat-free feta on things I'd normally put parmesean, and its a really satisfying flavoring. This whole thing was so tasty and so filling and so delicious I cannot even tell you. I just hope you try it yourself!

1 comment:

  1. I made salmon last night too! I wish I would have seen this before making it, as I bet it would have been better than mine. I only had carrots, rice and scallions w/ my fish, satisfying. I need to try this fat free feta that you speak of...

    ReplyDelete